That’s the reaction of most of us when we see dandruff on our clothes. But it’s okay because half of the population is also having dandruff and having the same thought. But one need not worry as it is not a serious problem it is just the flakes of the skin that dust off from the head making a person look shabby. But one shouldn’t feel embarrassed. Dandruff is as common as cold but its treatment isn’t as easy as cold.
First of all, the cause of dandruff is still unclear, its cause is attributed to various factors
- Dry scalp
- Itchy scalp
- Polluted environment
- Genetics problems
- Stress the biggest factor of all
- Unhealthy and junk food
- Lack of a balanced diet
- Medical condition
Some diseases such as cradle cap, seborrheic dermatitis, telogen effluvium, keratosis pilaris, etc. can too cause dandruff but these are accompanied by other symptoms too, in such a case consulting a dermatologist is highly recommended.
Dandruff cannot be stopped but it can be controlled using either home remedies or an antidandruff shampoo for oily hair. Though it is commonly believed that dry hair is the primary reason for dandruff, but dandruff in oily hair is more common and more difficult to treat. Dry dandruff can be recognized through white flakes, while yellow flakes point out to oily hair.
Some of the recommended ingredients in an anti-dandruff shampoo are as follows:
- Salicylic acid- The main function of salicylic acid is to eliminate scales and scale build-up. It is also beneficial in treating seborrheic dermatitis, psoriasis, etc. it is effective when best used for 2 to 3 days a week.
- Coal tar- It is another ingredient that is highly found in anti-dandruff shampoos, they help in resolving thick crust problems addressing eczema as well. It slows down the production of skin cells and hence diminishing inflammation, redness, and irritation. It gives the best result when used for 3 to 4 days a week.
- Ketoconazole- It is a fungicide that eliminates the infecting yeast on the scalp. It is the most commercially sold ingredient in any anti-dandruff shampoo. One should consult a dermatologist before using it as it can have side effects if not used with caution.
- Selenium Sulfide- It slows down cell turnover and targets yeast on the scalp
- Zinc Pyrithione- It is an anti-fungal ingredient that breaks downs the dead skin cells. For it to be effective it should be used for at least 2 days a week.
But these chemicals can affect the hair as it can further aggravate the problem and create additional problems like:
- Hair thinning
- Hair whitening
Therefore, it’s always advised to consult a dermatologist before using any such product because one can easily be duped into buying the wrong product with so many options. One can use Oily hair dandruff shampoo for treating dandruff in adverse cases. Or else one can always switch to home remedies such as:
- Tea tree oil
- Olive oil
- Coconut oil
The reason to prevent dandruff is in its name
D for diet
A for apple cider
N for nutrition intake
D for daily exercise
R for regular use of shampoo
U for use natural substitutes
F for forget stress
F for fibrous food